Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. Radon is the result of the natural decay of uranium in soil, rock and water, and enters the home from below. The EPA urges every homeowner to test for radon or if you are buying or selling a home. We provide radon inspections to Kennewick, Pasco, West Richland, Richland and Walla Walla areas of Washington.
IS IT DANGEROUS?
* Radon is estimated to cause about 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year, according to EPA's 2003 Assessment of Risks from Radon in Homes (EPA 402-R-03-003). The numbers of deaths from other causes are taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2005-2006 National Center for Injury Prevention and Control Report and 2006 National Safety Council Reports
The U.S. Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. today. Radon can be a problem in all types of homes and has been found in homes in every state.
Factors that can affect radon levels in homes include:
- Local geology
- Construction materials
- How the home was built
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE RADON IN MY HOME?
You should test your home for the level of radon gas present in the indoor air. If you have high radon levels, there are ways to solve a radon problem. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels.
HIRE A QUALIFIED RADON TESTER
It is important to get an accurate test. The best way to assure this is to hire a qualified professional to conduct the radon testing. As qualified tester, NPI knows the proper conditions, test devices and guidelines for obtaining reliable radon test results.