August 2014: Attics and Roofs
Ask The Inspector
View Current Article |
View Entire Newsletter |
View Archived Newsletters
Q. What does an inspector check in the attic of a home?
A. Attics are an important part of the home inspection and the roof inspection. When an inspector ventures into an attic, he/she looks at the following:
- Amount of insulation and type of insulation
- Amount of ventilation and describe the type: static, turbine, power ventilator, gable, soffit
- Electrical wiring
- Obvious signs of a possible leaking roof
- Type of framing — whether it is traditionally framed or trusses
- Type of sheathing — whether it is plywood or oriented strand board (OSB)
- The attic opening — whether it is of adequate size
For more information about inspecting your attic, contact your local NPI inspector.
back to the top
Each franchise location is independently owned and operated.