The Inspector Newsletter
December 2017: Electrical Inspections
Be Advised

Holiday Fire Safety

The holiday season is upon us. That means Christmas trees, holiday lights, the warmth of candles and the glow of the fireplace, all contributing to that cozy holiday feeling. Unfortunately, these staples of holiday cheer can easily become fire hazards. However, with a little care, you can safely enjoy all of these things and keep your holiday season aglow.

Be Advised

Real Christmas Trees
Real or artificial seems to be a question that many people struggle with every year. After all, nothing beats the fresh scent of a real Christmas tree. But be careful with that tree — if it becomes too dry, the lights can too easily cause it to catch fire. Keep your real Christmas tree hydrated with plenty of water to avoid a fire hazard.

Holiday Lights
Nothing beats the soft, shimmering glow of holiday lights, both indoors and out. But keep two things in mind when hanging outdoor lights. First, always practice proper ladder safety. Second, be sure to use cords and extension cords rated for outdoor use. An indoor extension cord won’t do for outdoor lights.

Candles
Candles offer not only the soft lights of the holidays but also the scents of the holidays. Be careful where you set them, especially with pets or children in the house, and be sure to properly extinguish them.

Fireplaces
If you recently had your fireplace cleaned, then good for you—it’s ready to go for the winter and the holiday season. If you haven’t had your fireplace cleaned in a while, then creosote buildup could potentially cause a chimney fire. As with candles, be sure to properly extinguish a fire to prevent a hazard.

Go Back to Top


View Current Article | View Entire Newsletter | View Archived Newsletters
Home Inspection Franchises Available - National Property Inspections

Each franchise independently owned and operated
Copyright 2017 by National Property Inspections, Inc. All Rights Reserved   Privacy Policy  Sitemap